Probate, Guardianship & Conservatorship

The possible or actual death of parents with minor children introduces particularly challenging legal issues.  Divorcing parents should formally nominate a potential guardian for the minor child, or, if one parent is already deceased, a surviving parent should nominate a guardian for a minor child in a will.  In some cases a person who has cared for a child for a significant length of time (a psychological parent) may be awarded parenting time and decision making rights against the wishes of a surviving parent if the court determines it would be in the best interests of the child.  Lastly, a parent may strongly object to his or her former spouse having control over any assets being left to a minor child, and should seek to nominate a conservator in his or her will.


Carrigan Law, LLC can help with these and other complicated issues involving the death of a parent with minor children.